The Technology Innovation Agency (TIA) and UKZN have signed an agreement for the establishment of KRISP - the KwaZulu-Natal Research and Innovation Sequencing Platform.
WHY? We want to challenge the status quo and create a scientific environment in South Africa that drives innovations in global health and reverses the brain drain.
HOW? The way we challenge the status quo is by attracting, training and retaining both top (South) African scientists that understand the problem from the ground level and the best international minds that are committed to our vision.
WHAT? We use expertise in fast advancing technologies such as genomics, epigenetics, bioinformatics and epidemiology in order to extend the frontiers of scientific research, drive innovation and solve some of the biggest global health problems, such as the HIV & TB epidemics and the increase of drug resistance.
A critical function of KRISP will be to make genomics, epigenetics and bioinformatics technology accessible to academic, industrial and commercial users, who might not otherwise pursue these technologies or use alternative international resources.
KRISP services focus on three main business areas (BA):
1. BA1 - Omics, genomics, bioinformatics and epigenetics enabler, which focus on providing services to academic and R&D clients. This will also generate scientific publications, innovations and intellectual property (IP). We have a professional team of grant managers, scientists and laboratory staff that can help to design, fund, generate and analyse omics data.
- Check our publications
- Current projects
2. BA2 - Next Generation Diagnostics focus on providing DNA diagnostic testing to commercial (such as pathology laboratories, pharm companies and clinicians) and academic clients. We use the latest and most accurate technologies currently in the market, including next generation sequencers (Illumina, Oxford Nanopore and Thermo S5) and digital/nanodrop and direct PCRs (BioRad, Thermo and Roche).
- Please contact Nicolette Croizer, Dr. Veron Ramsuran or Prof Tulio de Oliveira, for details on the NexGen Diagnostics offered.
3. BA3 - Training and capacity building programme. We focus on short courses (< 5 days) on genomics, bioinformatics and epigenetics that are designed for researchers and commercial clients.
- Check our training programme
We have worked successfully with over 50 national and international research institutes and commercial clients. Please feel free to visit us at Durban, South Africa, and/or contact us to get more details on KRISP.